Thursday, February 14, 2008

Everything Old Is New Again

Brooklyn's St. Clair

In the five or so years that I've gotten to know Brooklyn's Cobble Hill/Boerum Hill/Bococa neighborhood, I've watched trendy clothing stores and even trendier restaurants pop up, and as long as they weren't displacing a business I'd come to count on, I was okay with that.

But when one of the diviest of the dive diners closed its doors late last year, the St. Clair at Atlantic and Smith, I decided neighborhoold gentrification had gone too far. Even the swankiest of 'hoods need a few places where one can keep it real. So imagine my delight when I realized that the St. Clair wasn't gone for good, it was merely underging renovation — even if its hardier red and blue logo has been replaced by a more delicate orange and brown.

I look forward to their grand reopening, and only hope the prices on the menu haven't multiplied. In the meantime, I recomend The Soul Spot, just a couple of doors down, for a hot and hearty meal. (I ate there last night before catching Patrick Stewart in Macbeth at BAM.) Sure, they have baked chicken, but why be good when you can have the fried?

UPDATE: Apparently I'm not the first person to notice or care.

No comments: