Monday, December 18, 2006

Mystery Science Theater Misery



Perhaps the only thing that I enjoy more than a good Match Game rerun is a beloved epsiode of Mystery Science Theater 3000, a show whose cancellation I am still mourning. So imagine my surprise today when I decided to treat myself to their lastest DVD compillation set for Christmas and discovered that it was no longer available on Amazon.com (except for some independent sellers who wanted $140 or more)! Ebay bidding for copies was up to $80, and one seller said there had been a recall due to copyright issues surrounding one of the films, Godzilla vs. Megalon.

I thought that once these films were released on DVD they could never be taken away from us. But when I went to Satellite News, MST3K's official web site, I learned that we have more than just Godzilla vs. Megalon to be concerned about. Rhino Home Video has lost the rights to the four movies in Vol. 1 (Catalina Caper, The Creeping Terror, Bloodlust and The Sky Divers), and in March the rights to The Sidehackers go kaput. (And that's the one that's based on an award-winning play by Lillian Hellman, don't you know?)

Remember kids, investing in real estate may be risky, but invest in a Mystery Science Theater DVD and a substantial return is almost guaranteed!

1 comment:

Rob Weinert-Kendt said...

Say it ain't so! Who owns the rigths, the Walt Disney Company? Guess I'll have to play my few MST tapes and DVDs until the digital particles are worn down. "Deadly Bees" will still be just as weird and funny.