Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Season of Wooing

Swag at my mailbox.

One of the fun things about this time of year is all the packages from theater press offices that clutter up my mailbox. (The two above, from Young Frankenstein and Gypsy, arrived the same day.) The occasion, of course, is voting for the Drama Desk Awards, which I will do in two days.

Of course none of these trinkets are going to sway the way I vote. In fact, without getting into specifics, I can say that most of the shows I'll be voting for have sent me absolutely zero in the way of CDs, souvenir programs, scripts, etc. It's it funny how like dating this is? The guys who know they're hot are fully aware that they can win your affection through wit and sex appeal alone, while the ones who aren't quite so sure of themselves have to try a little harder.

But what can I say? At heart I'm a girl who loves to get gifts, whether it's a Xanadu book, the script to Gypsy with Arthur Laurents' handwritten changes, a Young Frankenstein souvenir program or video footage from A Catered Affair and Next to Normal, and it's been awhile since I've had this many suitors eager for my attention.

No comments: